We arrived at the antique store, which looked very modern and minimalist for that kind of place. I went inside and only saw a young lady with red hair who seemed to be the shop assistant and a couple, who seemed interested in a sculpture from ancient Rome.
I looked around me, and the store had all kinds of old objects, sculptures, coins, paintings… endless objects that came from all over the world. An explosion of cultures within four walls.
The woman walked the couple to the door and as soon as she said goodbye to them, she turned to me.
– Good Morning. What can I do for you?
– Good Morning. I’m looking for the person who sold my grandfather an antique item, which I believe came from this store.
– Many old objects are sold in this shop. Anyway, I am the owner, so do not worry, join me as we will search the file for the history.
I followed her to the counter nervous and anxious wondering if she could help me. She opened a file and asked me:
– Well, could you give me the reference number of the item or the auction purchase papers if not?
– The truth is that I only have this card.
I handed her the card and her face changed dramatically. She glared at me with a look that really scared me.
She hurried over to the door of the establishment, put up the closed sign and turned to me.
– Join me please.
We went into an office, which had little to do with the rest of the store. It was dark, filled with objects even stranger than those she had exposed to the public. In the back, there was a beautiful old wood table and a leather seat.
– Sit down. Can I offer you a drink?
– No thanks. I’ll get straight to the point if you don’t mind, the truth is that I would like to know something about the object that my grandfather bought and who sold it to him.
The woman poured two cups of coffee and after placing one in my hands, she sat down opposite me.
– I was the one who got and gave your grandfather the “article” as you call it.
– Excuse me, I really have no idea what the hell this is.
I noticed how she looked at me from the bottom up, as if she wanted to see beyond, into my soul. Without any hint of wanting to make me feel comfortable, she stopped her gaze and stare at me.
Then, her face threw a strange little smile.
– What’s so funny?
– It’s a very valuable effect. In fact, I hope you didn’t bring it with you. Because … you have left it safely, right?
– Yes, don’t worry about it. Although it is a piece of leather almost decomposed.
She looked back at me, but this time her eyes locked on mine with a threatening gesture. She made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end, and I could swear they changed color slightly for a moment.
– Are you familiar with ancient history?
– Yes, it could be said that all my life I have been surrounded by books with that type of theme.
– Do you know the story of Maia and Mia?
– I think I heard something when I was little, but it wouldn’t hurt to remember it either.
– Well, the legend says it that many many years ago, in ancient Egypt …